Albanach Guitar Duo - Weave
The Albanach Guitar Duo (Russell Ballantine and Paul Devery) brings together a number of acoustic guitar traditions: steel string, classical and slide guitar and explores the possibilities for the instrument within the world of traditional music. The role of the guitar in Scottish and Irish music has mainly developed, with some notable exceptions, as a backing instrument (and not always a welcome one!).
This debut album from the Albanach Guitar Duo takes another approach, presenting these well known tunes in a new self contained ‘guitaristic’ way but refusing to stray far from the original intended musical aesthetic.
The title ‘Weave’ reflects the style of the musical arrangement each instrument weaving with the other to create a soundscape which shows these familiar tunes from the fiddle, pipe, harp and song repertoire of Scotland in new light.
Recorded live in the studio this album presents the duo as they sound, no overdubbing and no additional musicians.
1. Neil Gow’s Farewell to Whisky, Return to Whisky (Gow)
2. Jig O’ Slurs (G.S McClennan) [listen]
3. Neil Gow’s Lament (Gow) [listen]
4. The Butterfly (Trad)
5. Si Bheag Si Mhor (Carolan)
6. Dances of the Scottish Court (John Maxwell Geddes)
7. Scott Skinner Reels (Skinner)
8. Chro Chinn t-saile, Ho Mo Luran He Mo Luran (Trad)
9. Shetland Reels (Trad)
10. Ashokan Farewell (inc ‘road and the miles’) (Jay Ungar) [listen]
11. Reel of Tulloch (after David Young) (Trad)
12. Carolan’s Concerto (Carolan)
13. Roslin Castle (House of Glamis) (Trad)
14. Hills of Glen Orchy (Trad)
'“…amazing guitar music “- The List
‘The guitar duo amazed the punters at their folk club premier’ - Wee folk club, Edinburgh
“Traditional tunes played with incredible skill on two guitars.” Dunfermline Press
“Exceptional music, exceptionally well played” - Amazon review
The Albanach Guitar Duo CDs are despatched within 24 hours
Book this act for your concert or private function Click Here
Rate and Review this product!